Trust In Your Local Birmingham Attorney

  1. HOME
  2.  → 
  3. Real Estate Property Transactions & Litigation
  4.  → Easement & Boundary Disputes

Protecting Your Property Rights From Boundary Disputes

As a property owner, you never want to face a dispute threatening your property rights. If someone else claims that they own part of your property or an easement interferes with your use and enjoyment, then you need an experienced lawyer to advocate for you.

Attorney Todd Higey can help homeowners and businesses with easement and boundary disputes arising from building and landscape construction, improvements, relocation and removals. With 25 years of experience assisting clients in Birmingham, he will use his background and understanding of the law to protect your rights and advocate for your interests.

Fighting Against Adverse Possession Claims

Property disputes between neighbors in Alabama are relatively common because of the state’s adverse possession laws. If you face a dispute due to adverse possession or an easement, then you need a lawyer with the knowledge and skills to help you protect your property.

Attorney Higey can help you with different types of disputes that threaten your property, including those stemming from:

  • Adverse possession
  • Building and landscape construction
  • Improvements
  • Utility easements
  • Relocation
  • Removals

In Alabama, you must possess the property for 20 consecutive years for state law to consider you an owner through prescription. However, certain exceptions apply that reduce this time to 10 years. When considering proper ownership in adverse possession actions, the court will consider whether a party actively controlled and managed the property, used it without permission, had a color of title, did not attempt to conceal their occupancy or paid taxes on the property. If these elements occurred for 10 consecutive years, the party may have a valid adverse possession claim.

However, you can take steps to prevent them from fully obtaining possession of your property by filing a quiet title action. In this type of action, the court will determine the true owner of the property. At his firm, attorney Higey can help you fight for your property rights and prevent a trespasser from prevailing in a property dispute.

Get Started On Your Case With An Experienced Property Disputes Attorney

Learning that someone else is trying to claim ownership rights to your property is alarming. Likewise, possessing land for a period of time believing it is yours only to discover it isn’t is disconcerting. Working with an experienced easement and boundary dispute lawyer can help you succeed against them. The lawyer at Higey Law LLC will strongly advocate for your property rights to resolve any disputes you face. To schedule a consultation with him, call 205-623-4774 or complete the online contact form.